5 May 2012

Friday mornings surface consisted of 10 cm of stellars, rimed stellars , grapple, and even plate stellars. Where it was blown in above 1800 meters there were 20 -25 cm soft slabs from Thursday night and early Friday morning. The sun had its way with the snow fairly quickly Friday morning.

At 2280 meters the temperature was -4, winds were 20-30 KPH from the SE at 06:00 Hrs.
At 1550 meters the temperature was -2, 98 % relative humidity and the barometer is steady.
1 cm was recorded at 1550 meters over night.
In the valley it is +4.

The wizard chair will be opening at 09:30 this morning.

For the updated Avalanche Advisory click here: Avalanche Advisory

Avalanche causes a flood: Avalanche in Nepal

Some of the avalanche activity Friday was on the April 26 Th crust, it had 3 cm of wet snow with the new snow over that and was producing size 1-1.5 Sc. There were some size 2 Na wet slides in Lakeside Bowl later in the day.

Blackcomb Glacier was closed Friday, be sure to pay attention to the signs.

Large cornice chunks are in many of the bowls, beware if you are in a cloud or flat light.

An old avalanche incident:

Stura Valley, Italy (1775, March 19)
Three people in the Stura Valley of the Piedmont break a record for surviving after being buried for thirty-seven days. Maria Anna Rocha (45), her sister-in-law, her daughter (13), and her son (6) were trapped with the livestock in stables behind their home when 50 feet of snow buried the entire farm. Because the men of the family were not home at the time ane assumed everyone had perished, no rescue attempts were made. Meanwhile, the stable roof caved in under the snow’s weight, trapped the four people further in a space 12 feet long, 8 feet wide, an 5 feet high. All the livestock died except for two goats. The little boy died after twelve days. The women were driven nearly insane by the smell of dead bodies and constantly dripping water. On April 24 the spring thaw helped uncover the top of the shed. The men returned at this time to bury the assumed dead bodies, only to find the women still alive. The young girl did not seem injured, but the sister-in-law could no longer speak and Maria Anna Rochia had gone completely bald.